Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Challenge



OK.  I admit, I tend to "lurk" rather than blog.  But this was the coldest, snowiest, November week I can remember.  I didn't want to go out, so I resorted to my studio to gather supplies, determined to complete a lesson in Sketchbook Skool.  Instruktors (yes, they spell everything they can with a "K") are some really inspiring artists, many of whose blogs I have followed for some time. Felt in need of inspiration, direction, and guidance.

So this week's assignment was to 'draw your kitchen.'  Sounds kinda dull, right?!  Well, not when the talented and whacky Tommy Kane is demonstrating how to see details, commit them to paper, and especially not to start over or give up.  Here's the feedback I wrote to him:

Challenging.  Inspiring.  Thought-provoking.  And, in the end, incredibly satisfying.  I tend to get overly sketchy, critical of myself,  frustrated, and usually give up when I start a big task like this.  But I watched, and re-watched, the video.  Reverted to quick-sketching from previous lessons.  And finally, in the end, I sat down and focused on the work -- for 6 hours!-- and completed the damn homework and followed the rules.  Lo and behold, my best work in many, many years!  My hubby kept carrying it around the house with him, saying how amazing a work it was.  Hunting for a frame, even!  Lots of compliments from Klassmates--well over 100--and friends (yeah, I posted it everywhere ;) ).  Feel so satisfied.  Satisfied.  Now there's a word my Monkey has kept from me for a long, long time.  Giving me permission to sit still for HOURS was the best gift.  EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment