Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Wednesday Morning Mindfulness




Counseling and administration were never my primary passions.  I dared to attempt to do these things by learning from the people God put in my path.  Art has always been my passion, from the time I was little.  I remember sitting at my special desk, with crayons and papers and coloring books, happily creating away.  But after the early encouragement, I later got the message that I needed to earn a living, and art wouldn’t do that.  I heard, too, that I wasn’t ‘talented enough’.



So I began watching and following other people’s careers.  There were Vivian Golub and Mike Lunine at Kent State; Rick Pogue, Jan Hanson and Jim Schuerger at Cleveland State; Mary Sarosy and Vince Pinto at WRCS; and many others who inspired me to learn counseling.  And I did good things—for the battered women’s coalition, for Lake Geauga Center, for Luceille Fleming and ODADAS, for Mitch Carlisle and Lorain ADAS.  Some doors were closed and my direction changed often.   

I now realize that the end result was that for all those served wherever I went, living in recovery was introduced and sometimes flourished in their hearts.   My path has made a difference!

Yesterday I went to a wonderful, amazing Quilt Show at Lake Metroparks Farmpark with some friends.  As we "oohed" and "aaaahed"  over the amazing creations, Gayle and Rachel told me that I noticed things they never saw in the quilts.  And that made me realize that I do, in fact, see things differently than many people.  I love seeing in the way that I do; expressing what I observe is something I am compelled to do.  And that is joyous!

I am so grateful for the opportunities and gifts I have been given.  For the things that have been taken away (strife, struggles, roadblocks in the paths no longer useful to me).  And for what has been left:  time to be mindful of who and where I am, the people I am surrounded by, and the ability to express the gifts which God has given to me.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------
Meditation :  EACH DAY A NEW BEGINNING

“When I slow down long enough to smell the roses, I usually see the beauty and all else that is ours to share.”       --MORGAN JENNINGS



"We overlook so many joys, so many hidden treasures, when we hurry from place to place, person to person, experience to experience, with little attention anywhere. All that matters passes before us now, at this moment. And assuredly, we will not pass this way again.

It has been said the greatest gift we can give one another is rapt attention; additionally, living life fully attentive to the breezes, the colors, the sorrows and the thrills as well, is the most prayerful response any of us can make in this life. Nothing more is asked of us. Nothing less is expected.
We have just this one life to live, and each day is a blessing. Even the trials we shall understand as blessings in the months, the years ahead, as we can see now how the painful moments of the past played their part. Our attitude toward the lessons life has offered makes all the difference in the world.

I WILL LOOK CLOSELY AT EVERYTHING IN MY PATH TODAY.  THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN, THE TREES AND SQUIRRELS, THE SILENT NEIGHBORS.  I WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN AS I SEE THEM TODAY. I WILL BE AT ATTENTION."

No comments:

Post a Comment